As many of you will know, G and I popped up to sunny Scotland for a spot of Nessie-hunting in late April.
Got a real sense of Scotland as a blokey place - all about golf, fishing, hunting and trekking. And can really see why it has historically been the back-to-nature playground for the Brits.



The journey began even before leaving London as my flight left from the shiny new Terminal 5 (open about 2 weeks at time of flight). Thankfully I had only hand luggage, so wasn't subject to BA's luggage roulette, but still fell victim to the a delay of over 2 hours. Given the flight was only 50 mins, it probably would have been quicker to walk!
Landed in Edinburgh, picked up the hire car and headed to Gleneagles. During my delay, had been texting G progress reports who hadn't seemed particularly fussed. On arrival it soon become clear why. After a busy week herding conference delegates, G had settled in with room service, sprawling on the couch (yes, room had couch and chairs) in front of the TV and the remote-control fireplace.
Loving a bit of luxury I soon acclimatised and next morning took full advantage of one of the more spectacular buffet breakfasts I can recall - three types of porridge anyone? We also took a stroll around the vast manicured grounds at the falconry, indoor equestrian centre and the landrovers being loaded up for the gun-dog training sessions.
After wrestling the keys off me, G got behind the wheel and drove us round to Fort William via Glen Coe & Ben Neavis. Everyone had told me that Scotland was beautiful, but must admit I wasn't prepared for how untouched
the landscape was. Though given the steepness of the slopes covered with loose scree (?) and scrubby heather I can see that it would be all too hard to develop. And I hadn't realised there would be vast tracts of pine trees as I would have expected in Canada or Newfoundland (I imagine).
the landscape was. Though given the steepness of the slopes covered with loose scree (?) and scrubby heather I can see that it would be all too hard to develop. And I hadn't realised there would be vast tracts of pine trees as I would have expected in Canada or Newfoundland (I imagine). Got a real sense of Scotland as a blokey place - all about golf, fishing, hunting and trekking. And can really see why it has historically been the back-to-nature playground for the Brits.
And we were very appreciative of the fresh, fresh air and crystal clear, tasteless tap water!
Now, on to Loch Ness. After a few road obstacles (ie the one hour traffic jam on a highlands back road!! and a couple of random livestock incidents) we approached Iverness from the south, stopping to check in at our B&B on the way. The B&B didn't disappoint, we had a lovely time exploring the private home of our hosts and making up stories about the pleasingly eccentric English wife, the gruff kilt-wearing military man husband and little old dog that helped us consume our breakfast.
But the real purpose of the trip was to go Nessie hunting so we set off in the early evening, well known to be feeding time for monsters - and we in luck! As evidenced by the pictures below we have joined the ranks of the fortunate few to capture a sighting:


Nessie wasn't the only wildlife to be spotted - we also snapped an authentic Highland 'Coo'.

Scottish food I ate:
- Scottish smoked salmon at breakfast
- Lots of Scottish Highland Spring Water
- Didn't get around to any Aberdeen Angus beef!
Things I loved:
- The people in shops chatted to you and offered service (cf. London!)
- The dramatic countryside
Photo Album: To access this you will need a password. So far, I've only emailed this to the immediate fam. If you want to see my pics, please let me know and I will send you the details.
TTC
No comments:
Post a Comment